The Osteopathic Cranial Academy is a professional membership organization dedicated to the teaching and support of post-graduate training in osteopathy. Training in the cranial concept is available to qualified physicians, dentists, and some foreign-trained Diplomates of Osteopathy (see Membership section for details). Each may apply the cranial concept within the accepted standards of their individual professions.
Cranial osteopathy is an expansion of the general principles of osteopathy that includes a special understanding of the central nervous system and the surrounding fluid, its connective tissue covering, and a mechanism called primary respiration. Those who wish to practice cranial osteopathy train intensively through post-graduate studies. Recognition of Proficiency may be earned by members of the Osteopathic Cranial Academy who demonstrate clinical ability in osteopathy in the cranial field.
The Osteopathic Cranial Academy was established in 1947 by students of William G. Sutherland, DO DSc (Hon) to:
- Provide an understanding and greater knowledge of the principles of osteopathy.
- Stimulate further research and dissemination of the philosophy, principles, and techniques taught by Dr. Sutherland
The mission of the Osteopathic Cranial Academy, a nonprofit membership organization, is: To teach, advocate and advance osteopathy, including osteopathy in the cranial field, as envisioned by Andrew Taylor Still, MD and William Garner Sutherland, DO.
The vision of the Osteopathic Cranial Academy is:
- To promote mastery in the practice of osteopathy in the cranial field
- To support a vibrant professional environment so that osteopathy can flourish
- To establish osteopathy, including osteopathy in the cranial field, as a recognized cornerstone of complete patient care
The Osteopathic Cranial Academy and its members are committed to:
- Honoring the natural forces that give form to all life
- Seeking truth through lifelong learning
- Pursuing research, scientific rigor, and intellectual honesty
- Providing service with professionalism, respect and compassion
- Continuing the legacy of hand-to-hand learning within a nurturing environment that honors our elders and welcomes our students
The Osteopathic Cranial Academy (OCA) is a component society of the American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO)