Welcome to the Academy
About The Academy
Cranial Osteopathy is the study of anatomy and physiology of the cranium and its inter-relationship with the body as a whole. It may be applied for the prevention and treatment of disease and enhancement of health within the practice of the science of osteopathy.
The Osteopathic Cranial Academy was established in 1947 by students of William G. Sutherland, DO DSc (Hon) to:
- Provide an understanding and greater knowledge of the principles of osteopathy.
- Stimulate further research and dissemination of the philosophy, principles and techniques taught by William Garner Sutherland, DO DSc (Hon).
Our members have a tradition of success in the treatment of a myriad of health problems, some of which may have been non-responsive to standard medical treatment.
Our international membership is composed of DOs, MDs, DMDs and DDSs who are involved in an ongoing study of Osteopathy in the Cranial Field.
The Osteopathic Cranial Academy (OCA) is a component society of The American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO).
The Mission of the Osteopathic Cranial Academy, a nonprofit member organization, which includes international affiliates, is: To teach, advocate and advance Osteopathy, including Osteopathy in the Cranial Field, as envisioned by Andrew Taylor Still MD and William Garner Sutherland DO.
The Vision of The Osteopathic Cranial Academy is:
- To promote mastery in the practice of Osteopathy in the Cranial Field
- To support a vibrant professional environment so that Osteopathy can flourish
- To establish Osteopathy, including Osteopathy in the Cranial Field, as a recognized
cornerstone of complete patient care
The Osteopathic Cranial Academy and its members are committed to:
- Honoring the natural forces that give form to all life
- Seeking truth through lifelong learning
- Pursuing research, scientific rigor, and intellectual honesty
- Providing service with professionalism, respect and compassion
- Continuing the legacy of hand-to-hand
learning within a nurturing environment
that honors our elders and welcomes our students